8 Tips on how to give good advice.
All these tips come from the Bible and will help you help others. This is “Wisdom in the Word,” a series of videos that aim to make us wiser through Biblical teaching.
1) Listen to the whole story – answers a matter. Proverbs 18:13 (NKJV) 13He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him. Ask questions before giving answers.
2) Think about it first. Proverbs 15:28 (NKJV) 28The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, But the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil. Really thinking?
3) It’s not about YOU. Proverbs 11:2 (NKJV) 2When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.
4) Stick to what you know. 29 chapters of banter – Job 38:2 (NKJV) “Who is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? Advice is not a guessing game. Better to say nothing and just pray for them
5) Be ok with them getting counsel from OTHERS, too. Proverbs 15:22 (NKJV) 22Without counsel, plans go awry, But in the multitude of counselors they are established.
6) Be ok with them disagreeing – Multitude of counselors… what does this imply?
7) There’s a difference between your advice and God’s commands. Make the difference.
8) What does the Bible say?…This is the best part of your advice. But don’t just quote a verse…be rightly applying it. Jeremiah 23:22 (NKJV) 22But if they had stood in My counsel, And had caused My people to hear My words, Then they would have turned them from their evil way And from the evil of their doings. There’s POWER in it.